airport woes

May 7, 2007

Oh, man. I hope I never have to travel alone with my 18-month-old again. It might not have been so bad if I’d remembered to bring the expensive sash I use to carry the baby on my hip more comfortably. I had to lug around Diego, who tips the scales at 26 pounds, a little travel suitcase and a stuffed diaper bag. I didn’t want to bring the stroller because I thought (moronically) that it would be more of a burden since Diego is such an eager walker now.

Because he’s under 2, and we’re cheap, I didn’t get Diego a seat. I planned for him to ride on my lap, and sleep most of the flights. This plan worked on the short flight from Walla Walla to Seattle, when I got to enjoy some wine (it’s free on these short flights). But for the big one, the 2 hour flight into LA, he did not want to sit still. I tried to get him to eat part of my veggie burrito, and he took a few curious bites, then flayed his arms around, sending beans and rice all over me and the kindly woman sitting next to me. I wanted to disappear.

I spent most of that flight walking up and down the isles with him, and keeping his little hands off people’s shoes and personal items. It was a long two hours. No nap whatsoever.

Getting back to Walla Walla was a little better. The little guy slept on both flights and only fussed a little during take off and landing on the LA to Seattle leg. But before getting to Walla Walla we were stuck in the Seattle airport for just about 3 hours. Part of it was a long layover, the other mechanical issues with our plane. I tried to stretch that time out as much as possible, and walked and fed him, but a good nap and good lunch meant he was ready to roam. I spent much of the layover chasing Diego through our terminal. Every time I’d get him to sit and watch planes, he’d sneak off and go running full speed. I worked up quite a sweat. I finally had to corral him at our gate by sitting on the floor and catching him every time he tried to take off. This was a fun game for him. A nice woman offered me a mailing tube for him to play with, and this entertained him for about 15 minutes. After I got to rest for a while I encouraged him to run around while I chased him, hoping he’d wear out. I was out of snacks at this point too, and out of wipes. On the flight into Walla Walla, which left an hour and a half late, I enjoyed a nice beer while he enjoyed a much needed snooze.


2 Responses to “airport woes”

  1. Carlos said

    We’ll get to experience some of this on Friday. We’ll have to tag team and overwhelm Diego with our parenting powers.

  2. Diana said

    You are my hero! Your story of being a Mom/Traveler is highly vivid and sounds exactly like what being a MOM is really like in real life! At least Diego is the most handsomest “small fry” you ever had to run after! :0)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: